In the past few years silicone has entered the ring as the new saviour to plastic. Here's why:
- Unlike plastic, there isn't any evidence that it leaches hormone disrupting chemicals into your food and body, regardless of temperature.
- It can be washed and reused for a long time period (years).
- It's very durable
- It doesn't biodegrade, so when you're done with it, it never goes away (like plastic).
- It's not widely recycled. Try finding a recycling facility in your region is a bit of a needle the haystack situation.
- Even though it technically comes from sand, it's ultimately synthetic and the manufacturing may have some issues.
So what do you think?
Do you use Silicone bags, cookie sheets, microwave lids?
Do you think we should sell silicone products until we have a better solution?
Do you have a better solution?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!